Thursday, December 9, 2010

A French Milliner's Head...



SALE PENDING...Thank you!

Good morning all! It is a very cold day here on the bay..only 7 degrees! Yikes! I am so thrilled to be invited to join TDIPT ( To Dwell In Primitive Thymes) website. What an honor to be among such tallented artists! This little beauty will be my first listing with them. She will be listed on the 14th of December at 9:00 pm along with a six inch doll I am currently working on. So please stop by and take a look at all the wonderful offerings from a great group of artists! Just click on the TDIPT link on the upper right of this page.


A couple weeks ago I was sorting through some old County Living magazines, I mean old! I started out looking for holiday recipes when I came across a picture of a living room. Sitting on a trunk was this beautiful French Milliner's head! I knew I had to make one.

French Milliner's heads were popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Milliners were found in every city and town. A hat was designed and created with the help of a "milliner's head." The milliner shaped, cut, pinned and fashioned the hat one the head. Then the finished hat was displayed in the shop.

A life-size head made of soft wood or papier-mache was used. Sometimes the top of the head was made of padded cloth so it was easier to pin the hat to the head. They usually measured fifteen inches tall, more life size.

Also on the back side of the head, down by the shoulder's there was a cut out made for storing scarves or jewelry for easy access when needed to decorate the head. They were sometimes lined with newspaper.

Now for my little creation..

I made this sweet French Milliner's head out of cloth, clay and wood. She measures only 7 inches tall. Hubby made a small wood box that I inset in the doll and lined with french newsprint. I used the same hair style as in the picture of the actual vintage head, I really love this look! She looks lovely tucked in with my other dolls and I almost kept her.

I have her pictured with Tempy (10 inch doll) and a framed needlework, that are not for sale, for size reference.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me,
Have a great day!
Kimberly






8 comments:

bayrayschild said...

Kimberly, you are so very talented and the French Milliners Head is really something special. I can understand you wanting to keep her for yourself.

So glad that you've become part of the TDIPT family!

Audrey

The-Artful-Attic said...

Aww...thanks so very much Audrey! I really appreciate your kind words. She was so much fun to create. Thank you..I am so proud and honored to be amoung all you great artists...

Kimberly

OldeTimeDolls said...

Congratulations Kim on your new adventures with TDIPT. Your Milleners head is wonderful!

The-Artful-Attic said...

Hi Judi! How are you enjoying your new computer? Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words...

Town Common Folk Art said...

Hi Kimberly,

Congratulations on your TDIPT invitation. Your work is always lovely and inspiring! Happy Holidays!
Penni

The-Artful-Attic said...

Thank you Penni!! You are such a sweetheart...
Happy Holidays!
Kimberly

Atticbabys said...

Oh Kim I love your milliner's head!!!
She is stunning and I'm sure will be snatched up in an instant!

~~~~~~~~~Happy Holidays~~~~~~~~~~~

♥Nan

The-Artful-Attic said...

Thanks a bunch Nan!
Happy Holidays!
Kimberly